You might have thought that the list of golf equipment ends with clubs, a bag, and a good pair of gloves. That’s not entirely true – a good hat can make all the difference, as well. I’ve searched the market, so you don’t have to, and today I bring you a selection of the best golf hats available on the market in 2018.
Are you wondering what makes these golf hats truly the best?
Then keep on reading!
Different Types Of Golf Hats And How To Pick One
Before we even move on to why we’re all here, which is picking the best golf hats on the market, I thought it would be nice to take a minute to talk about your options.
It’s time to learn more about the different types of golf hats!
1. Bucket Hats
Usually made from heavy-duty fabrics (think denim or canvas), the so-called bucket hats feature a downward sloping brim. Over the years, these have gained popularity among the golfing community, mostly because they are comfortable, and provide plenty of shade.
And when I say plenty, I mean 360-degree, all-around protection from the sun. Sounds lovely, doesn’t it?
Those of you that are looking for a hat that offers lots of ventilation will be glad to learn that there are inexpensive, mesh bucket hats available on the market, as well.
Design-wise, visors are similar to the ball caps, with one significant difference – the top of the head will be entirely exposed. They consist of a brim, and an adjustable band (Velcro or stretch) that goes around your head. On top of providing excellent protection from the sun for your eyes, they’re pretty much unparalleled when it comes to ventilation.
However, these have one immense downside – due to their design, they don’t provide any protection to the top of your head. Your scalp will pretty much be exposed to the sun’s harsh rays for the entire duration of the game.
Female golfers, on the other hand, seem to love visors, since they are incredibly stylish, and let them wear their hair whichever way they want.
3. Wide-Brim Hats
If your goal is to look as classy as possible on the golf course, then you should opt for a high-quality wide-brim hat. I promise you won’t go unnoticed with one of these!
Of course, style isn’t all they have to offer. These hats are also known for the outstanding amount of sun protection they have to offer, as they throw shade on everything from your face, to the back of your neck. On top of that, they manage to stay pretty lightweight, and the best of them have a specific cooling effect during hot, sunny days spent at the golf course.
4. Ball Caps
I feel like there’s not much to say about this type of golf hats since they’re already one of the well-known „fashion“ items around the world. Now, take the fashion part with a pinch of salt: the truth is, they’re not the most stylish type out there.
But how are we to judge? I mean, if Tiger Woods manages to pull them off, who says you won’t, too?
After all, they have several essential advantages you need to consider. First off, they’re quite inexpensive, and relatively lightweight. You’ll notice they provide plenty of shade for your eyes, and if you opt for the right design (such as mesh backing), they’ll offer lots of ventilation, as well.
Searching For The Best Golf Hats? Pay Attention To These Things
The following section contains everything you need to know to make a well-informed decision. Follow this guide, and you’ll be able to decide on the best golf hats in no time!
With all that I previously said about different types of golf hats, take a moment, and decide which way you’re going to go style-wise. Your appearance won’t affect your game, but feeling good about how you look on the golf course will improve your overall confidence, which is always a plus.
The best advice I could give you is to aim to find a golf hat that combines excellent design with beneficial features (I’ll tell you more about it in a sec). Looking „stylish“ should not be viewed as a deciding factor, though, just a bonus.
Materials are often one of the critical factors in determining the overall quality, as well as durability of your new golf hat. Since many different materials can be used to make these hats, taking the time to learn more about them will bring you one step closer to finding the perfect golf hat for your needs.
Take a look at some of the most commonly used materials:
- Cotton And Cotton-Based Materials – One of the most frequently used materials for golf hats has to be cotton – or any cotton-based materials, such as denim. Either way, a certain level of durability, as well as breathability is to be expected from these materials.
- Animal-Derived Products – It’s not uncommon for golf hats to be made from some animal-derived products, such as wool or leather. While wool is an ideal material for playing golf during winter, leather is the best option if you want all eyes on you.
- Polyester – Since it’s known for its water-repelling properties, polyester might not be the perfect choice for you if you tend to sweat a lot, as it won’t be able to absorb it. Moral of the story is: if you do buy a hat made from polyester, make sure it has a mesh backing or any other type of ventilation, or you’ll be in for a lot of sweating.
Buying a golf hat that has any closure is already a step in the right direction, as it gives you a way of adjusting the width of the cap so that it fits your head perfectly. The type of closure will determine the ease of use, though, so choose carefully.
- Plastic Snaps – The kind of closure known as the plastic snap utilizes rivets that click together, allowing you t make adjustments to the fit of your hat.
- Brass Buckles – While these don’t necessarily have to be made of brass – other types of metal are used, as well – antique brass buckles are commonly seen on hats. The square-shaped buckles work by clamping down the fabric straps at the desired width.
- Slide Buckles – When your cap features two fabric straps that feed through a sliding fastener, the result is this easy-to-use type of closure.
- Velcro Straps – If you want a hat that allows some quick adjustments on the spot, without a lot of hassle with snaps or buckles, then a hat with a pair of Velcro straps is probably the best option for you.
If you opt for a hat that doesn’t have any buckles, or any other means of adjusting the fit, you’ll have to make sure you choose the right size. I know it sounds like a pretty obvious thing to say, but you’ll be surprised how many people get too distracted by design, and fail to consider size at all.
The best way to ensure you’re getting the right size is to measure your head using a tape measure; the tape should go around the middle of your forehead for the most accurate results. Alternatively, try a hat you already own – one that fits just right – and use it as a guide to purchasing the right size.
You already know that, as a golfer, you spend a reasonable amount of time on the golf course. Because golf is an outdoor activity, that takes place in broad daylight, you have to ask yourself:
Is my hat breathable enough for these conditions?
It may not seem as important at first, but if you recall the last time you spent a hot summer afternoon on the golf course regularly wiping sweat from your face, you’ll soon realize the significance of having the right hat for the job.
And by right, I mean breathable, possibly with a mesh backing included.
The Best Golf Hats In 2018: My Top 5 Suggestions
#1 Nike Golf Sun Protect Bucket Hat – Overall UV Protection On The Golf Course
Right off the bat, it’s clear that this is a hat that will protect your entire head from the sun. With a 360-degree brim, it will throw shade both on your face, as well as your neck. But besides offering outstanding UV protection, it also looks rather beautiful, which is a huge plus.
The hat is made from a combination of polyester, and spandex (plain-woven), which makes the cap durable, and lightweight at the same time. Even though it's polyester, the addition of Dri-FIT fabric will make sure you stay dry – it’s meant to keep the sweat away from your face so that you can focus on the game.
However, there are some disadvantages worth mentioning, as well. First off, you need to be careful about picking the right size. These Nike hats tend to run small, so if you typically wear L or XL size hats, you’ll probably be left disappointed in how these fit.
Also, they don’t have a chin strap. Now, I’d like to point out that this isn’t so much of an issue if it’s not windy outside – and it makes the hat look a lot better. But there’s no guarantee that this bucket hat will stay on your head if the wind does, in fact, start blowing.
- 1It provides excellent 360-degree protection from the sun
- 2Made from very durable materials (polyester and spandex plain woven)
- 3Dri-FIT fabric will keep the sweat away from your face
- 4There’s an adjustable drawstring on the outer side of the hat
- 5They’re washable
- 1These hats run small in size
- 2The cap doesn’t have a chin strap
#2 Mizuno Branded Visor – Excellent Choice For Those With Lots Of Hair
Another favorite hat style I talked about previously, while I was introducing you to the various types of golf hats, are visors. Now, I’m pretty sure you heard about Mizuno before; chances are you have other golfing equipment made by this brand – maybe even a set of irons or wedges. After all, Mizuno is one of the biggest names in the world of golf.
The hat is made from polyester, which means it will be quite durable, and even if you do opt for the white one (as there are six colors to choose from), you don’t need to worry about sweat stains showing. Speaking of sweat, you’ll appreciate the fact that there’s a sweatband located on the inside of the visor; it will do an excellent job of keeping you dry, and comfortable.
There’s no need to worry about the fit, either, as it’s easily adjustable with Velcro straps.
One thing you need to keep in mind if you do opt for a golf hat like this is that a visor won’t be able to protect the top of your head from the sun. So, if you don’t like your scalp to be exposed, and you tend to burn quickly (this is particularly true for those of you that are bald), you should consider some of the other models on this list.
- 1The hat is made from durable polyester
- 2The inside of the cap contains a sweatband
- 3The visor has an easy-to-use Velcro closure
- 4The bill is pre-curved and stylish
- 5The model is available in six different colors you can choose from
- 6It’s fairly affordable
- 1It won’t protect the top of your head due to its design
#3 Nike Mens Golf Legacy91 Tech Adjustable Hat – Suitable For Male And Female Golfers
While it’s advertised as a men’s hat, I’d like to point out that the design is pretty much unisex, so ladies, if you do like this one, don’t let the labels bother you, and just go with it. It’s a perfect choice for both male, and female golfers.
The hat's design is such that it offers lots of ventilation; the top has a six-panel form, and each of them has an eyelet – a tiny hole that improves hat’s breathability. And even if you’re prone to excessive sweating, the Dri-FIT fabric will make sure your head stays dry by enhancing the evaporation rate significantly.
The stretch fabric of this Nike model will ensure a snug fit, no matter what your head size is – the idea behind this is a one-size-fits-all design (I’ll talk about it in a sec). If you do need some additional adjustments, you can just use the snag-free closure on the back of the hat.
And while it does offer you a way to adjust the fit, I’ve noticed that the whole one-size-fits-all concept doesn’t work in this case. The thing is, if your head is either smaller or larger than what’s considered average, you’re going to have some issues. The hat will fit, but you’ll probably look kind of silly wearing it.
- 1Dri-FIT fabric improves evaporation rate
- 2Eyelets on the six-panel design will enhance breathability
- 3Stretch material adjusts the way the hat fits
- 4For additional adjustments, use a snag-free closure
- 5It feels sturdy and lightweight at the same time
- 6The cap is rather affordable
- 1The one-size-fits-all concept doesn’t work for everyone
#4 Wonderful Fashion Cotton Hat – Be The Center Of Attention On The Golf Course
If you’re looking for a hat that’s bound to turn heads on the golf course, then this is the one to keep your eye on, for sure! The best thing is it won’t cost a small fortune to become the center of attention.
This hat, made from a combination of polyester and wool, is an excellent choice for colder months of the year, when your primary goal is to stay warm and look great, at the same time. There are plenty – and I do mean plenty – of colors, as well as patterns, to choose from, depending on your taste. It’s pretty safe to say there’s an option for everyone!
Again, we have the one-size-fits-most concept, and again, the same issues arise – what if your head is just too big? Yes, there’s a rear elastic band, but it just won’t work past a certain point. So, if you naturally wear hats in size XL, make sure you measure everything out before the actual purchase.
Another thing I’ve noticed is that the hat doesn’t seem very durable. The combination of polyester and wool sounded promising, but once you’re up close and personal with this golf hat, you’ll notice that it just won’t stand up to heavy use. I guess you get what you paid for, huh?
- 1The hat combines two materials: polyester and wool
- 2Excellent for playing during the colder months
- 3It has an adjustable elastic band on the back for a better fit
- 4There are plenty of colors to choose from
- 5It has a very traditional, stylish design
- 6It’s extremely affordable
- 1The one-size-fits-most concept doesn’t work
- 2It doesn’t feel very durable
#5 Coolibar UPF 50+ Men's Matchplay Golf Hat – Ultimate Sun Protection
Whenever you’re spending a lot of time outside – and playing golf is an excellent example of this – it’s smart to have some protection from the sun. While this hat does cost a bit more than your standard ball cap, I’ve decided to include it on my list due to the outstanding level of protection it has to offer.
First off, there’s the broad, yet lightweight brim, that will throw a 360-degree shade, protecting your face, as well as the back of your neck from direct sunlight. But what unquestionably makes it stand out is the high (50+) UV protection factor, that will block up to 98% of harmful UV rays.
Sounds awesome, right?
Other benefits include a combination of comfort and breathability. The inside of the hat contains a sweatband, able to absorb any sweat that may occur while you’re on the golf course. It does an excellent job of eliminating any odors, as well. To keep it in top-notch shape, just wash the hat by hands, and you’ll be good to go.
One disadvantage I’ve noticed with this hat is that the top isn’t as sturdy as I initially thought it would be. That wouldn’t be much of an issue if it didn’t make the hat extremely wrinkle-prone. At some point, you may even have to pull out your clothes iron to get it back in decent shape.
- 1The hat is 100% polyester
- 2It has a UV protection factor of 50+
- 3There’s a sweatband located on the inner side
- 4The elastic cord on the back allows some adjustments
- 5It’s easily washable (by hand)
- 6It’s available in three sizes (S/M, L/XL, and XXL)
- 1It costs a bit more than your usual hat
- 2The top of the cap is prone to wrinkling
The Best Golf Hats: Final Thoughts
Announcing the winner is never easy, especially when there’s personal taste included in the equation. However, after all the research I’ve done on the topic, I feel like one of the best golf hats currently available on the market has to be the Nike Men’s Golf Legacy91 Tech Adjustable Hat. The fact that it’s suitable for both male and female golfers made it stand out of the bunch.
Let me know if you agree with my choice by leaving a comment below!